Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wardrobe Review :: The Rules


Welcome to my closet. These 13 items of clothing* are the pieces that I find myself reaching for time and time again and always know I will feel fabulous in. They are as follows:

1. Nanette Lepore 'Jungle Cheetah Print' dress 2. Lida Baday tafetta skirt & Gap cardigan 3. Old Navy dress 4. Byron Lars Beauty Mark dress 5. Paul & Joe 'Despira' coat 6. Gap Trouser jean 7. Kate Spade 'Coralee' wedge 8. JCrew / Joe Fresh cardigan 9. Moth/Anthropologie 'Wisteria' cardigan 10. Burberry 'Crinkled Tafetta Dress' 11. Lida Baday 'Tartan Flare-back' dress 12. Marc by Marc Jacobs 'Wonderland Blocks' top 13. Teenflo 'Kennedy' dress.

I routinely pair my favorite pieces with jackets, skirts, blouses, vests, trousers and cardigans that I have bought over time. These pieces are not shown above because they make up a standard capsule wardrobe {the less exciting but essential pieces we all need to own}. Add in my collection of vintage accessories and outerwear and I’m ready to go!

It is a rule in our house that we only buy what we truly love. While this means I’ve had to give up my trendy H&M skirt obsession, I now have a wardrobe that I continually reach for and always feel like a million dollars in. How do I determine what I love v. what I like? No matter the price of the item, I always think before I buy {it helps if you e-browse before you step into a shop.} If I am smitten with something, I will make a mental note of it and wait. If I am still thinking about it a week or two later, I will go back and try it on. If it is still in stock in my size and as good as I remember, I buy. The final test is whether or not I wear it within a couple days of bringing it home. If I haven’t worn it within a week of purchase I re-evaluate and will return the item if necessary.

I’ll discuss accessorizing in my next wardrobe review. In the mean time, I’d love to hear about the rules you follow when stocking your own closet and how you make clothing work for you on a daily basis.

*It was a list of 12 items but then I bought the Burberry dress. I just know based on the shape, the cut, and how I feel when I wear it that it's going to be a piece that fits on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment