Sunday, March 1, 2009

Delicious Banana Goodness

We love bananas! Over the last couple weeks I've been testing out different banana loaf/bread recipes and I think I've finally found the winner over at Recipe Girl.

Photo source - Recipe Girl


The secret is in the melted butter and cinnamon. Other recipes I've tried in the past have been dry and overly dense but this version is very light and creamy, and has a surprise cinnamon kick.

Click here for Recipe Girls's Cinnamon Chip Loaf

For my version, I slightly modified the Cinnamon Chip loaf to suit the ingredients I had on hand (4 large bananas, chocolate chips instead of cinnamon chips, and included 1/4 cup coconut and a handful of walnuts). Depending on your preference, I suggest limiting the number of chocolate chips to 1/4 - 1/2 cup (chocolate easily overpowers the delicious banana-y goodness). Also, my version made 2 medium-size loafs and only required 30-40 minutes of baking time.

People, I think we have ourselves a winner! The Dr claims it is the best banana bread he has ever had and the coconut is a fantastic addition. Chocolate & Coco-nutty Banana Loaf -

  • 4 large ripe bananas - mashed completely

  • 1/4 cup melted warm butter

  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar

  • 1/3 cup brown sugar - packed firm

  • 1 large egg- beaten

  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract


  • -Mash bananas in large bowl. Add butter, sugars, egg and vanilla.

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/4 cup coconut

  • Walnut pieces - to taste

  • Semi-sweet chocolate chips - to taste


  • - In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to wet ingredients and mix until flour is incorporated. Stir in coconut, nuts and chocolate chips.
    -Pour batter into greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes - or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely and slice.

    Thanks for the inspiration Recipe Girl! I can't wait until I can get my hands on a bag of cinnamon chips so I can try the authentic version.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment